A daily journal of our family's crazy hijinks and how this mama of 4 tries to survive them!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

House Check!....


In my constant quest for a clutter free home I have had to devise some pretty interesting cleaning tactics. The "clean up" song from Barney used to work well, but for some odd reason my children have grown tired of it! So when the house is looking like a tornado came through, I simply yell two words....HOUSE CHECK! When I say this, the kids know it's time to scramble and get things put away. Often I will try to make it into a game by timing them or offering a reward for who "checked" the most. Other times I will assign each child an area of the house to house check in. This has been a fairly reliable way of getting those wayward toys, socks and other childhood paraphernalia back to their own spots. The kids like it (mostly) and I am not having to hover over them insisting that the little Lego guy does need to join the rest of his block family or that yes, Polly Pocket would be more comfortable if she were wearing her rubber dress!
For more Works-For-Me-Wednesday tips, visit Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the "House Check" idea. I was humbled this week when I realized that my girls were cleaning their rooms before bed and me being the lazy Mom didn't actually check behind them. I went looking for something in my 5 years old room only to find that she had been stuffing EVERYTHING and I mean everything, under her bed. The moral of the story is, if you say "House Check" then I guess I better get up and actually check it! Great tip!