A daily journal of our family's crazy hijinks and how this mama of 4 tries to survive them!

Friday, July 20, 2007

Comfort and Joy....

Mary over at Owl Haven is hosting a carnival about memories of your childhood home. Go check it out for some really sweet reads!
When I think about my childhood home there isn't one particular place that comes to mind. We had a couple different homes as I was growing up and each of them holds some unique memories. There was the house on 43rd Ave where we left the sprinklers on all night on Christmas Eve so that the yard would be covered in ice when we woke up the next morning. (This was a pretty exciting thing for a FL girl seeing that a freeze was not necessarily a yearly event) There was the year I was twelve and we lived on the lake. I spent my days barefoot and fishing and watching out for alligators so I wouldn't be taken to the murky depths in their very unpleasant jaws! Then the house on 41 Ct. where Granny lived next door and I learned to drive the mower. (I only did this once or twice so I don't think my parents had alot of faith in me)
All of these houses hold special memories for me, but when I think about why, I realize it's because that is where my family was; in particular it's where my parents were. My mom and dad were a solid rock in my sometimes roller coasterish life. Wherever they were was home! There is something still so comforting about walking into my parents house. Even now as an adult with my own home and family I feel enveloped in love just walking through their door. My dad is no longer with us, but I can still feel his presence there. The pictures and knick knacks that I grew up with are still scattered about and their bed is still the most comfortable in the world! We all have since moved from FL. We still live in the same town though and whenever one of us needs to slip back home for a little comfort and joy mom and dad's house is where we find it.....

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

enoyed reading your post. I love finding so many similarities with people I meet (blog). I grew up in FL and my mom and brother now live in east TN.
Have a great day

Anonymous said...

The story of leaving the sprinklers on to make ice cracks me up. My parents never did anything like that, but I know the novelty snow and ice can be.
I grew up in one of the hottest cities in Southern California and it actually snowed one winter, the only time I can remember. I didn't even own a coat but my parents took all of us out to play in it anyway. it was great!

Anonymous said...

Still living in FL, I get a joy in the winter watching the city workers bring in "snow" (crushed ice) for all the children and some adults to get the feel of possibly what snow is really like. I also have many memories that I cherish close to my heart, being with my loved ones whenever I can. Some have moved away and we really miss seeing them, but love hearing from them. Enjoy your website and daily happenings, much laughter with you. Your experiences bring back many memories in raising Brian and Carrie and I have to laugh with you.