A daily journal of our family's crazy hijinks and how this mama of 4 tries to survive them!

Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Deer in the Headlights or Buying a New Car....(part one)

Our trusty minivan has recently been having some health issues. Let's just call it what it is....a terminal illness with no hope for recovery. This obviously has put us in the position of needing a new car.

Now in order to make our car shopping experience perfectly clear to you, I need to give you a little background.

I have been driving a minivan for the last 11 years. I have been desperately wanting a big, road hogging, air polluting SUV so as to establish my coolness on the road. In all of our when we get a new car discussions that has been my preference. Something shiny, loaded with extras and did I mention BIG!

But alas, we ran into a little glitch in my plan. It's called $4.00 a gallon. My hopes for an SUV were fading fast, and we unfortunately did not strike oil in our backyard while digging flower beds. So.....

I became resigned to another minivan.

My minivan research began on the internet, where all research of any value begins. I read all the info, specs, engine parts (which I totally did not understand) and options on all the top models. I had pretty much decided that there were really only two options. These were the only vehicles I would accept and be seen driving in the minivan world.

Then the newspaper came...

There was an ad for a local dealership offering all kinds of rebates, incentives and free hot dogs if you would buy their car. Apparently salesmen are a little desperate these days. There was one problem with this....their minivan was not on my approved list.

Since I like to give all automakers a fair shot, I decided to research this particular van. It looked good. Really good. It had reviews. Really good ones. And it was shiny. Really shiny!

We decided that this would definitely be an option for us. There was one problem....we needed to see it in person.

No comments: