A daily journal of our family's crazy hijinks and how this mama of 4 tries to survive them!

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Don't Push Me People!....

Recently, my son Tyler, opened a Facebook account. We decided to go with Facebook rather than MySpace for security and content reasons. So.... he got on there, did whatever it is you have to do to sign up, and within a couple of hours was conversing with his gajillion friends. It actually is quite amazing when you think about it.
However, there was a little glitch....
The next day when he went to log on, his account had been disabled. This was puzzling. He followed the link to the "explanation" page and guess what it said...go ahead, guess....ok I'll just tell you. It said, sorry you can't be on here cause you're homeschooled. I'm paraphrasing here, but that's the main gist of it.
As you can imagine he was more than a little upset and my other personality started to show. (that would be the one that breathes fire and has snakes for hair) I promptly sent them an email kindly explaining that I felt they were discriminating against my son and other homeschoolers and how I felt that we should not be excluded because of our educational choices. Then we waited....
Several days later I received a response. It went something like this:
We're sorry, but for security purposes we can only correspond with the actual account holder. Please have your son send us an email from his account expressing his concerns.
Thank you,
Mr. Techy Support Guy who is probably making you really angry.
Ok, I made that last part up, but he might as well have signed it that way.
People, did I mention that my son is a minor? That's right, he's underage in all 50 states! He can't vote, drink, drive or receive medical care without my signature, however I cannot do email correspondence on his behalf to a major corporation?! (insert snake hair!)
So I did what any fire breathing, snake haired mother would do. I sent the email from his address. It was kind of like a secret identity thing...I knew it was from me, but they didn't. Clever huh? Again we waited...
This time it only took a few hours to get a response. Guess what they said. Go ahead guess...nevermind I'll just tell you again.
We have reactivated your account. The reason it was disabled was because you were sending friends requests to people you didn't know. In the future please only send requests to people you know.
Thank you,
Mr. Techy Support Guy, is your mom still breathing fire?
Again I'm paraphrasing, but you get the point. How in the holy schmoly did they go from you can't be on here cause you're homeschooled to don't talk to people you don't know? How do they know who his friends are? And incidentally, his friends list consisted of every single kid in the church youth group, his nana, aunts and uncles, and oh yeah me! Maybe they felt he shouldn't be talking to fire breathing, snake for hair people.
I'm glad the incident is settled even though I feel like they were copping out by not facing the original homeschool issue! It was a good lesson for Tyler in standing up and fighting for what you believe in.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Mr Techy probably meant that somewhere in the mix of people Tyler actually did know were accidentally some he didn't- and those people probably reported him to the Facebook people. It's a fairly good site (MUCH better than myspace), but the management definitely leave a lot to be desired.

Anonymous said...

What that is terrible! I might just have to write them a letter on my thoughts about discrimination too ugh

Anonymous said...

i remember that!
It added him as a friend, then when i tried to find his account..it told me he didnt exist!!
I thought i was going crazy...